Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dish



The collar is now on the other head. Mickey's had a near monopoly on post-surgical satellite dish collars over the past few years, now Maggie's got her chance. If all goes well, she will only need to wear it for two weeks. That means two weeks of crying and whimpering. We're trying to soothe her with a great mix of music from the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. Right now, we've got Kenny Loggins "Highway to the Danger Zone." The whimpering continues, whether a musical protest or expression of physical discomfort, we'll never really know. Spin Doctors "Two Princes" is now filling the air, the whimpering continues. Nothing serious for the fat black dog, some pretty straight-forward surgery to fix some overgrowth in her lady region. Obviously I'd rather not discuss it, so we'll leave it at that.



Below find the first (and as it turns out, only) red tomato of the year. The picture is at least a week old. It looks quite nice. Since I took it, the ants have totally destroyed zucchini-land. A nasty round of storms knocked down one of the tomato plants as well as the bean pole and assorted vining. Total yield: 11 Zucchini, 5 beans, 4 tomatoes of varying quality, basil plant still doing well, rosemary looks a little stressed out, maybe its roots are being attacked. Some more lessons learned this year. More vigilant pest control is essential. In New York I remember worms helping out the cause in the garden, here anything I see is wishing me ill. Potato bugs, Stink bugs, fire ants, other ants, beetles and dogs. More land has been tilled and will make for a better planting next year. I give my effort a B-, result C-.



Smash Mouth "Walkin' on the Sun" is on now. I'm not sure if Maggie's crying or not, it's hard to hear above my own whimpers and cries. "So don't delay, act now, supplies are running out...

... I might as well be walkin' on the sun."

Modern English "I melt with you"... better... but the crying continues.

No comments: