Monday, April 27, 2009

der April



Bloglas is braving relentless (or unrelenting?) attacks by mosquitoes this evening to bring you the entertainment you so passionately crave. It's not that it's been particularly wet. It's been particularly dry. About 6 inches behind in rainfall for '09. That may explain the fires in Myrtle Beach but it doesn't explain these feisty skeeters. Never you mind.

It's about 3800 miles from Wilmington, NC to London, England. It's about 3000 miles from Wilmington, NC to Seattle, WA. If you try to send a box weighing six pounds to Seattle it will cost you about $10 but if that same box goes to the UK it will cost well over $100. I understand there's air travel involved to get across the pond... but really. If you get the same service... delivery in two days, they both go by plane... and Seattle still comes in under $40 and the UK is well above $100. And this has nothing to to do with duties. Am I outraged? Not really. But I did notice.

Watched the Last King of Scotland last night. Good movie. I bet the book was good as well... some clever historical fiction. It's amazing how terrible we humans can be to one another. Some of it reminded me of the psychology of Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith and his portrayal of communist-era Soviet Union. I'm not sure about the name "Tom Rob" but it was a good book. His first I believe with a new one due out this year. I will read it.

These mosquitoes are like little Harrier jets. Really little Harrier jets. Painful biting little jets.

Some spam from today's junk email. It is quite well done. I'll take one snippet:

a little note for my valentine

what do you look for in a best friend

a conversation today


I liked it. Another piece ended with this:

my room is clean and i'm knitting


Good night. By the way, der April is German for April. I'm a little disappointed.

No comments: