Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Funbrella

The rain is upon us and I am happy. I took the brown dog out for a walk in the rain with an umbrella a little while ago. Such a nice little cocoon under the canopy there. My own little pleasure dome, mobile and blue. Collapsible. As I stood outside, the rain increasing in intensity, I wished I had something dry upon which to sit. I pictured some seat that would come down from the umbrella shaft that I could plop down upon while still being under protective cover. It would be an invention only I would enjoy. Most times people under umbrellas are on their way to somewhere dry, not content with the semi-dry space in which they find themselves. It's not often that you are in the moment when you are in the rain. Even I, RainLover, can't claim that I am. It's always what's next when it's raining and what's now when it's sunny. Mickey solved the dry place to sit problem by sitting on my foot. I still have come up with no solution for myself. Another bummer is that I am not outside typing this, rather I'm back inside in my usual place. If this rain keeps up as they suggest it will, I may have to move this blogging operation out onto (into?) the carport over the next few days. Plenty of good atmosphere out there, what with the dog food, kitty litter, trash can, recycling bin, dog carrier and car. It is ripe with inspiration. Or just ripe. The carport has nothing on the umbrella though. The umbrella keeps your thoughts closer to your head for a moment longer than usual before they float away. If you see someone under an umbrella, I guarantee they are doing some good thinking, whether they realize it or not. In the carport my thoughts drift away just as fast as they would out in the open. In a garage, thoughts just bang into the walls and ceiling and floor and objects until they are beaten out of shape and are barely recognizable. If you see someone in a garage, they may be thinking, but it isn't going well. Mechanics can get beyond this, but the rest of us can't. That's probably why none of us are good at fixing cars and stuff.

umbrella in French is parapluie
umbrella in Spanish is paraguas
umbrella in German is regenschirm
umbrella in Portugueses is guarda-chuva
umbrella in Japanese is こうもり傘
umbrella in Chinese is 伞

I give the umbrella brevity award to China and the umbrella fun-to-say-award to France.

Umbrella.

No comments: