Monday, October 5, 2009

And now, more weather.

A nice drizzly day has settled in on us. Sometimes a heavier downpour kicks up, but mostly just a gentle soaking rain. I grew up in upstate New York. We got more than our fair share of rain up there, not like the Pacific Northwest, but a lot. I don't have any vivid memories of playing outside in crisp sunshine under deep blue skies. I do remember dry days playing baseball across the street at dusk where I had to really concentrate to see the ball. Diving in the dew covered grass. Jeans stained with dew covered grass. I do recall a sunny moment, the last day of school one year when my dad and brother picked me up after school at the end of the long sidewalk that leads to the elementary school. I ran as fast as I could, a few stray papers in my hand, sprinting toward summer freedom, and if I remember right, for reasons unknown, toward a rare afternoon haircut in Camillus. Running was so much fun then. I see that happiness in brown dog as he goes all out after his blue frisbee and tattered basketball. Ears flapping, tail wagging, tongue wagging. Hopping, skipping and jumping all at once. Every step a happy one, every pursuit more exciting than the last. Nowadays, running can be a dangerous proposition for me as muscle, bone, tendon and brain tend to be at odds with one another. Occasionally I'll make a dash for the mailbox in the morning, a shadow of my former running child self, a shadow on the brink of pulling up lame.

But more memories are of the rain. A fond childhood memory is of building forts in the rain. No object on the front porch was spared in construction. Giant green lawn chairs, small folding chairs with the webbed seats, every available raincoat and each umbrella to be found. This was back when raincoats were heavy and big. I remember these being group construction projects, though maybe a I did a few solo builds through the years. The chairs were opened and laid on their sides forming walls. It was not just one space created, but a series of short, interconnected rooms. The big green chairs, as they were "reclinable," would serve as wall and operable door. Each fort in each rain was different. The pre-built playhouses you find today are nice, but we got to make something new each and every storm. It was a good time. I'm waiting for Nintendo Wii to come out with a virtual fort building game, then I'd have one more reason not to want one all that much.

Sun is easy. Walk outside, bask in it, do whatever you like. Rain is a challenge. That's why I like rain.

2 comments:

Anne said...

yes, hours of fun were had building those chair, umbrella, and raincoat forts back in the day. How come we do not build forts now? Or do we, but we just call them "tents"? Today, in good old Upstate NY, it is VERY windy and rainy. I do not hink our forts would withstand the wind.

Cunado said...

I have done the tent on a rainy day, but you really need it up before it rains for it to work. The beauty of the old rain fort was building during the first few sprinkles and waiting out the downpours. :)