Thursday, October 8, 2009

Promenade de l'histoire


When the dogs go for a walk, they prefer national parks, especially Moore's Creek Battlefield in Currie, NC. It has a nice loop for walking with a few other side trails. But they tend not to look at any of the informational markers. I don't think they even realize the significance of the land on which they walk. For once, I made them take it all in. They looked to the past and thought of the sacrifice, symbolism and importance there. (the past is that way ---->)I could see the thoughtfulness in their eyes as I explained how, on this land, many years before, the Colonists won their first major victory against the Loyalists in the fight for American Independence. It's my favorite war. The Civil War, WWII and Vietnam seem to be the big three for most of America, but I'm partial to the Colonial era and the revolution. Happily, the history channel has a series called, fittingly, The Revolution, that satisfies my revolution fix. I digress, and return to the point at hand. The fact that the Loyalists at the Battle of Moore's Creek were my forefathers, clad in kilts and Scottish garb, doesn't seem to bother or confuse the dogs. Mickey's given name is Shamis McWeenis, so you could expect him to have mixed feelings, but he rarely has mixed feelings. Maggie, who often goes by the street name, Fatty Wagger, keeps her feelings cloaked under a quiet stubbornness marked by the occasional baring of tooth (why show them all when one does the trick?). At any rate, the history lesson left both smiling and panting for more though looking no more enlightened than when they started.

No comments: