Saturday, August 29, 2009

football d'orange

I am again looking forward to football season. College, pro and fantasy. Tonight's installment: College.

I don't care about college football, I care about Syracuse Football. This has not been an easy thing over the last several years. Through the late 80's and 90's Syracuse was a solid program, went to bowl games, won bowl games and were normally ranked in the top 25. Recently, the 'cuse has been among the worst. That changes next Saturday. A new coach, a new quarterback and hopefully a new swagger will carry the day. Minnesota, next Saturday, in the Dome at high noon, ESPN2. Greg Paulus, who has been the object of much derision, primarily because he played for Duke, is now the starting qb. Hopefully my constant taunting over the last four years has toughened him up and made him strong enough to return a once proud, recently dying, program back to respectability. If nothing else, he gives a good, smart interview and represents himself and the university well, which is a nice start. The new coach is former SU player, Doug Marrone. The new swagger starts with him. For a variety of reasons, many have left the Orange program this summer. I like to think that "standards" may have scared a few off. I hope that's the case. I think the first game is hugely important. The first game under the previous head coach (let's call him Greg Robinson) was brutal and it never got any better. The only great achievement was a win at Notre Dame last year, but that was as much about the Fighting Irish being in a bad place as the Orange pulling off a miracle.

I've had highs and lows with my team. I remember watching them beat Penn State in 1987 (the went 11-0-1 that year) on TV, that may have been my happiest memory. I also remember them beating #1 Nebraska back in '84, but I didn't really know what that meant at the time. Low point, aside from the last 4 years, was going to see them play the Hokies in '99. Good times were had by all until the game started. Then good times were had by everyone else. Both teams nationally ranked, a big ESPN Saturday night matchup. They kicked off. Later that night, the scoreboard read Virginia Tech 62, Syracuse 0. Blowouts became a trademark for Syracuse football over the following ten years. I like to think that is over now. I like to think they'll be competitive.

Normally at the games you can get a program with a cover similar to billboards around town with the season's slogan. Usually it's something inane like "A Winning Tradition Continues" or "Celebrating 200 Years of Excellence." Last year it could have been "Oh God, Not Again" or "Watch and Endure." This year I hope I can watch and enjoy. We'll see next Saturday at noon.

OTTO!!

No comments: