Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shell landing II a.k.a. Bird post

Morning two at the boat ramp. My thought (yes, thought... I'm tired) drifts away from bricks and mortar and most forms of rubble. Catch my drift reference? You know, water and all that... just another example of brilliant writing. Join me on my trip, won't you? Let's all take a Literary Journey (picture that in flowing cursive). Never mind, I can't back that up with anything today.

Back to the drifting, flowing, chirping, breezing, sniffing, lapping, squawking, humming, rising, waving, growing, calling, sitting and blogging at hand. This is one of those moments when you look out on the water, the waterfowl and shorebirds occupy every available post, buoy or non-water-based object. Sometimes you can look out and there are no birds. Today, all birds.

Also, it was Pirate week in Beaufort, NC. An already over the top scene adds a little twist. One dead-on Jack Sparrow dude, complete with freaky out of balance stride and slightly disjointed upper body movements. Another lean mean pirate presented me with a beer, complete with flowery oration, which completely won me over to the side of the pirates, well, these pirates at least. Not Somali pirates, so much as some people happy to dress up and have a good time for a few days.

Night two here was much more Piratey than Friday. Wenches were out in force (seriously). This is the real deal... they had ships firing off cannons Saturday afternoon re-enacting some sea battles. Plenty of children on hand, too. I'm sure some kids are really into it and I'm twice as sure a lot of kids are quite scared by it. My theory is that Pirate Week is somehow sponsored and supported by child psychotherapists looking to create some business. And those psychotherapists are covertly backed by other psychotherapists who clean up any mess left by the first ones to deal with scourge of pirate week psychotherapy.

Yarrrrrr... I'm tirrrrred.

2 comments:

Blogadier General said...

Why do pirates have such bad teeth?

Cunado said...

Not sure. Wait, is this the setup for a joke?

I can tell you after my weekend of research that even fake pirates have bad teeth.