Saturday, May 9, 2009

Back to Fluff

Back to the lighter side of things. I must have had a bee in my bonnet yesterday. I stand by it all, but we don't need that everyday. No... no we don't.

I began working on my farm last night. I call it a farm because garden doesn't really capture its essence. It sits on .003 acres surrounded by a 28 inch high security fence. The fence is designed to keep out all manner of critters - the label said "Rabbit Fence." I'm more concerned about "dogs" at this point. I've got a bit of the turf removed and have some pretty decent looking soil waiting for seeds to be sown. It's not easy work, this centipede grass is pretty gnarly (in a bad way). It wants to stay in the ground. Once I've forced it out, it really wants to hold on to the dirt clinging to its roots. Next year it should be a lot less work. As I have become increasingly fragile in my advancing years, this work is some good exercise for me. It's also giving me a reason to be out in the heat and sun... which is good too.

The plan is to get some seedlings started in the next few weeks, take the best looking plants of the bunch and make them yield bushels and oodles of food. Prospective veggies (and fruits) include: Yellow Squash, Green Zucchini, Red Tomatoes, Green Lettuces, Green Beans, Multi-colored Peppers, Orange Carrots and Green Cucumbers. Should all go well, I will have some fresh food in about 75 days. By then I should be pretty hungry. I think I'll also look into a fruit bush or two. I miss picking blackberries. Even more than that, I miss eating blackberries. Perhaps such a bush that produces blackberries with great frequency is in my future. Mmmm, blackberries.

Yes, I wore sunscreen. It was sunny and already in the 80's by 8:30 this morning. Protection is so important. Up in the nineties this afternoon. I did work some in that crazy heat, but then decided sitting in the shade was a better option. It's almost always the better option. It would be the best option if there were more options on the table, but there ain't. Ain't. There's a nice breeze. Nice for me.

I'm glad the farm is taking shape. The back yard tends to be a big boring rectangle, so anything that breaks that up is a good thing. My average weekend tends to be a big boring rectangle, too... so I look forward to my continued adventures in micro-farming. I'll do my best in the coming weeks to regale you with only the most choice and extreme moments in my agricultural endeavors.

F-A-R-M- Farm!

2 comments:

Blogadier General said...

Hello, Douglas. I'm going to be in North Carolina in a few weeks. I might like to see your farm. Where the hell is St. Helena?

Cunado said...

Is this the proper forum to divulge my whereabouts? I am inland from the sea two-score miles on a heading 176. That should get you close. Find Wilmington and wander north about 20 miles up I-40. Where will you be and when?