Thursday, May 14, 2009

Topical Paradise

The Day in Farming

Clarification: The plant previously identified as either a zucchini plant or a weed has been positively ID'd as a weed. A weed in that it is not the desired plant. A zucchini plant in the middle of the lawn would be a weed, too. Weed = a plant out of place.

Lettuce celebrate: Every farm report will have one unfortunate pun, see if you can you find one somewhere in this feature. Sprouts of lettuce have emerged on the back 40 (see photo, click to enlarge, the seedlings are just below the quarter, they're green and look like little lettuce seedlings). This is exciting news for St. Helena Agribusiness. Cucumber seedlings are about to push through as well. A bumper crop is guaranteed. Gentlemen, start your salad spinners.

---------------
The Day in Rock

I was wondering when hard hitting, yet melodic rocktastic music would make it's way to Kearney, Nebraska. I can now report that it will happen in June. The Midwest has been waiting a long time for this. By Sunlight's Miles of Smiles tour takes a swing through the heartland of 'merica in search of fresh corn pone and johnny cakes. Attend if you can, it's just a couple days journey from here. I will likely wait for the By Sunlight Huck Finn Mississippi Riverboat Tour tentatively scheduled for Spring 2010 starting in Cairo. Opening bands Paddlewheel and Fludplane round out the bill. I should have some room on my raft if anyone cares to join Jim and me.

----------------------
The Day in Dental Care

Novocaine tends to last a solid six hours. Expecting to speak effectively before those six hours is up is unwise. Also, despite repeated constructive criticism, the following dentist office pet peeves remain. 1) The headrest is guaranteed to mess up your (my) hair, inserting cowlicks where none should be. After a solid scraping and angry flossing, I leave feeling slightly violated and my hair a mess. It's not right. 2) There is no readily available mirror to check your (my) face following your (my) visit to notice that you (I) have a big blob of toothpaste or other substance on your (my) cheek. This is also not right. 3) Etc.

--------------
Pay it Forward

I held the door open for a guy going into the dentist's office in hopes that he would pay it forward.

-----------
In the News

NBC Nightly News really seems lost without any Swine Flu stories. The clear and present dangers of frozen chicken pot pies was the juiciest story on the broadcast. It's true.

2 comments:

Blogadier General said...

PAULUS!!!

Cunado said...

Yes.

Dookie turns Orange

I cheer for this as I have had so little to cheer for in football over the past 11 years.