Thursday, May 28, 2009

What ends in stars


The perimeter of the farmland has been breached once again. There is a line of little ant hills across the northern leg of the plot. They have successfully destroyed the remaining cucumber plant. I think they gummed up its roots like they did to the other. These may not be ordinary fire ants, there is no mound to speak of, as yet. I have yet to launch my counterattack, I think I'll do it on the weekend when they least expect it. They always let their guard down on the weekends. I guess they're all liquored up and busy gambling after pay day. They'll get theirs. There are a number of other colonies starting up around the property as well. They'll also get theirs. Everyone gets theirs.

Bean plants are the fastest growing... if fairy tales are at all based on truth, this should be no surprise, eh Jack? There is one lone squash plant trying to make it - not looking too promising. The lettuce plants are small but seem to be growing... I think they take quite awhile to mature. I remain optimistic. It's a mix of lettuce varieties, so they are already multi-colored. Very cool. Two tiny tomato plants have been about the same size (size small) for the last couple weeks... they may have fruit on them right now, but it would be impossible to see. There are similarly sized carrot plants that I don't expect to produce carrots. The peppers are a no show.

I'm outside as dusk is settling into night. The waxing crescent moon is about to slip behind the pine trees. It's got a prominent earthlight glow this evening. It did last night, too. There's a single bat flying overhead in a pattern only it understands, not that I'm studying it too closely. I wonder if it flies at a certain height and speed to get the most mosquitoes per minute. I wonder if it thinks about that. We've talked about building a bat house. I wonder if it'd like that. Insects are making a racket tonight. Frogs and birds too. I like to think the birds are Whip-poor-wills. I like to think the frogs are happy. I count seven celestial bodies - planets and stars.

No comments: