Monday, May 25, 2009

Lax


Memorial Day weekend is the time that I watch college lacrosse. It’s final four weekend. Syracuse is normally in the mix for the National Championship, that’s why I watch. Lacrosse is pretty popular in the northeast, we played it in school in gym class but I never got too into it. The game originated long ago with the native American tribes up there - Mohawk, Oneida, Iroquois, Crow and so forth. They would play it ceremonially to honor their gods and to settle disputes. Teams had somewhere between 100 and 1000 players a side and the “field” could be miles long. Some of the games would last several days. It was not made for tv. Reality tv maybe… what with the tribes and councils and loincloths and such.

It’s a contact sport, no doubt about it… like hockey on grass with less padding and more scoring.

Cornell beat UVA to reach the final, Syracuse beat Duke. I’ll pull for the Orange just because that’s what I do, but a Big Red win would be pretty cool, too. The schools are about fifty miles apart. Picture Duke and UNC playing for the basketball title. Lacrosse is just about that big up there.

My pre-game meal will be a spicy turkey burger. Game starts at 1:00pm eastern on one of the ESPN’s.

--------
Basketball update:

Soreness has subsided. I took the basketball out back on the patio and had Mickey guard me - knowing he would try to get the ball. When I would dribble between my legs he would go through my legs too. He’s that fast and interested in getting/running with/mouthing/eating the ball. I won round one.

No comments: