Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Profuse Lee

I remember in bygone days when the height of basketball playing pleasure was found at the RAC (Roanoke Athletic Club). A full court, hardwood, usually pretty empty. We'd suit up in our Stromgren and Pumas and make a day of it. When you needed a break, you could go watch tv. Then, back to it. Some days there would be other kids playing, but usually if a game was to be had, it involved older guys... guys as a old as I am now... yes, that old. They were generally slow on their feet, had awkward looking shots and relied on backing you down then tossing up sorry looking hookshots. I now can relate.

As a scrawny lad, I always preferred to be shirts rather than skins (so as not to alarm anyone with my pale, bony physique, as if someone wouldn't know that I was pale and bony by seeing me with my shirt on - pretty sure they would). More often than not, I managed to manipulate events to keep my shirt on... so the old guys wound up being skins. This was to their advantage. They sweat so much that you would slide off of them. Combine that with their "back you down and body you up" philosophy and it made for a generally unfortunate experience.

I just shot hoops for about five minutes and I'm dripping. Yes, it's a little hot and sunny, but I am now that sweaty older man. damn.

Scott, one of my college roommates, said it best (though I'm sure he got it from somewhere else): "We become that which we despise." Maybe a bit strong here... but you get the idea.

I have rich, disturbing memories of the past. So, should I ever play ball with some teenagers, I refuse to sweat on them and back them down. Although... if I don't sweat on them and back them down, they may never learn the hard lessons that brought me to this point. Perhaps I owe it to them (and generations to come) to play old guy basketball. Who am I to break the chain? A great moment of truth awaits me sometime in the future. I know not what my choice shall be nor the ramifications thereof. therein. thereabouts. thereto. thereupon. there.

Now, for all you fashionistas:
click on image and it's like you're right there with me! dig it.

No comments: