Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Breaking point

As in "I probably should take a break tonight" from trying to write something here.

Expectations are running high. Deliver! Night after day after night. I push myself so hard to provide this edutainment.

Here's something: I looked up bimonthly in a couple online dictionaries because I assumed it to mean "every two months" rather than "twice a month" (semi-monthly). Websters and others have both definitions for bimonthly. How can one word mean two different things like that? I get that a single word can have multiple meanings and uses, but this crosses the line. The French wouldn't allow something like this. Bicentennial doesn't mean 50 years, it means 200. It's messed up. I will take my complaint only as far as this paragraph. I've heard that words have precise meanings... in this case, two contradictorily precise meanings (I'm excited contradictorily is a word, though it might mean "adv.: in agreement with"). Come on English! How can I break your rules if you cease to have any? ruuuhhh!

There's a song called Country Day on the new Tragically Hip album that I haven't been able to listen to since I got it. It starts "Country Day..." and I always fast forward. This was wrong of me. So just now I ventured deeper into the song. I won't say it only got worse, but in the end it disappointed as I expected. When you expect something to be disappointing and it delivers that promise... is that disappointing or satisfying? What is the sound of one hand clapping? Either way, for me, that song got off to rough start and the finish was no better. I enjoy several other songs on the album and I think it has a nice feel overall, country day notwithstanding.

Mosquitoes are deadly tonight. Enough of this.

2 comments:

Blogadier General said...

I discovered the same problem about bi-weekly a few months ago. It will confound me to my dying day.

Cunado said...

We're here to support each other... none of us can make it alone. Perhaps together we can right this wrong, right? Perhaps we won't.