Monday, June 15, 2009

Gritted Teeth

It's a cool evening. A storm is approaching from the north and should be here in a half hour or less. We're all enjoying a good sit in the backyard. I tried a good sit on the front porch with the dogs yesterday, but a jingling in the woods disrupted everything. Another dog was wandering about. Before Maggie could get in full defense mode I got everybody inside.

This morning I saw a fox strolling across the front yard. It was not red, so far as I could tell. Foxes have a neat look about them. I can't imagine hunting one down. I can't imagine hunting anything down. I can understand killing for food to survive, but if I had to do that I would be a hard line vegetarian for as long as possible.

I hate to dwell on the weather, but it's not even humid out... it's really nice.

How about that Iranian election? How about Afghanistan has one coming up soon, too? How about Israel? I saw a cartoon explanation of the Israeli-Palestinian situation last Sunday. It was well done. I took it to be rather accurate. Just as the demographics are changing in the U.S., so too are they changing in Israel (awkwardly worded... but you know what I mean). Palestinians are having more children than Israelis and have nearly pulled even with them in population. So the idea of a two-state solution which sounds so good to most of us may be a limited time option. When the Palestinians have a majority they could very well push for a single state solution, and with their voting power they would have near total control. Something to think about, no matter where your geopolitical opinion falls. I was sure there was an easy answer. Wrong again. The search continues.

I hear thunder. I see two fireflies, two dogs, one deflated basketball, seven tennis balls, one house and one darkening sky. I smell the faint scent of something. I listen for rain. Yesterday, when I was playing my guitar and singing outside, a bug flew down my throat. Tonight, I sang through gritted teeth.

No comments: