Saturday, June 20, 2009

Weekend Update

Iran.

When I lose my "24 hour news cycle" tv coverage of events I quickly fall behind. I read the newspaper this morning, and it seems to be the "24 hours ago news cycle." It's not your fault Roanoke Times. I stand by my earlier opinion of the Iranian election situation. The fact that the Supreme Leader came out the next day and changed the dynamic has again forced the hands of the demonstrators. It may now be about real reform all because of crisis mismanagement at the top. I'm not sure if this was the crisis that Joe Biden warned us about during the first several months of the Obama administration or if it will be with North Korea (when we intercept a freighter with weapons or they shoot missiles into the Pacific at or near Hawaii) or if it will be something else entirely. Surely nothing else could match those two... right? right? Let's hope so.

So Moussavi is supposedly prepared for martyrdom according to his supposed Facebook page. Not the right tone to set. Not constructive. Not good. Revolution isn't easy (see: revolution, almost any). Not that it may not be worth it... but I think incremental change and some compromise and leadership on the part of Moussavi would be better in the short term. But I'm not him and he's got to do what he thinks is right. I fear it could get really nasty and they may not have anything concretely gained. Oppression will be more intense in the aftermath. You've got the world's attention but you have no military support, so your protests in the streets aren't likely to do too well (see Tiananman Square).

The US is not going to jump in and I'm pretty sure no other world powers will either. Even some of your Islamic friends in the neighborhood are keeping their distance. I heard an interview with a dozen guys (I believe Shiites) in Afghanistan. They were asked if any of them cared about the election in Iran. Two guys raised their hands. The other ten started yelling at them. The position of the world: Leave it alone. I think it is admirable to be willing to die for your cause, but even more impressive to live for it and embody the struggle. We'll keep watching. I wonder how people in those situations keep their day somewhat normal. How does Moussavi sleep and eat and function? He's got a collection of stressors I can't fathom. I'd be sucking on a bottle of Mylanta all day long.

Sports.

I shot a 33 on nine holes of par 3 golf today. Not bad for not playing in the last year and a half. I didn't make any great putts but I didn't have any real bad shots either. A bunch of pars, a couple bogeys, a couple double bogeys. The gentleman and gentlelady from the Empire State played nice rounds of golf as well. I like golf when it costs $10, takes an hour to play and I hit the ball generally where I want it to go.

Leisure.

Back to my leisure.

No comments: