Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bean Counter

3

Three green beans hang happily from their mother plant. This opens up a host of cooking opportunities: three bean salad, three bean soup, three bean chili, three bean casserole, three bean dip, popcorn s'rimp, s'rimp gumbo, chicken fried s'rimp, etc. Ants are doing their worst on the stalk and on the ground and have left the plants struggling, but I've got beans, baby! Monday into Tuesday was prime growing weather for some reason. Yellow Squash plant got big overnight and is all perky and happy. Life on the farm is good. Carrots have also had a spurt of growth. Some little black worms have been chomping on them. They've been removed by mechanical means (I've pulled them off and tossed them over the fence). Lettuce plants have new life as well. I spotted a free range lettuce plant on the edge of the farm.

Optimism is growing along with the plants. Sometimes it takes the smallest nudge to feel like you're going in the right direction. And if not in the right direction, at least you feel like you're going somewhere.My beautiful little bean. Someday I will eat you. Hard-core herbivore. If it was 20 years ago, I'd make a terrible rap called hard-core herbivore.

My name is Doug and I'm here to say...

But it's not 20 years ago, and I know better.

Night fell on the sleepy farm. There was sitting and panting. The forest was alive with sound as insect racket came and went. Quiet and loud at once beneath a cloudless sky. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: