Monday, July 6, 2009

Yawn and retire

We may get a meal out of this Farmo Cunado yet. That is the plan... harvest enough food for one decent meal. That may not sound very ambitious, but few of you have seen the farm in person... one meal would be a tremendous victory.

The best shots I could muster are below.One of the beanstalks has climbed to an altitude of 3 feet and many of the plants are starting to flower. For comparison... the little green thing at about 4:00 in the picture is the biggest lettuce plant.
The Yellow Squash plant is looking pretty good with some flowers as well. It isn't very sturdy, but it is resilient.
The Lettuce is the weakest of the bunch, but is still growing. It may be the amuse bouche when meal time finally comes.Carrots continue to grow, though I can't imagine much of a carrot growing beneath the frail vegetation above. We shall see, we shall see.

Pests have not been too big an issue. The initial ground invasion by the ants from several weeks ago was successfully thwarted. Ant season may be over, there is very little mound activity. The spiders will start to do their thing as fall approaches, but they are predictable in their web weaving and web locating. There has been some munching on some of the bean leaves, but it is negligible. The surviving lettuce seems to be free of any bite marks. I'm all for vegetarians, but when the vegetarians are bugs and they are eating my crop(s), I'm very much agin them. Fortunately, the crape myrtles seem to attract a large number of beetles and are sacrificing themselves for the greater good. I have not, and will not, do my brutal midsummer prune job on those near the farm as they have proven (to be) quite useful.

A good rain or two has perked everything up. Some juicy, oxygenated rain beats irrigation any day. For all my bellyaching about summer heat, it has not been too bad so far. The plants are happy about it and so am I. Summer storms grumble all around me, but none shall wet my garden whistle tonight. Storm cloud companions block a nearly full moon. Birds discuss the weather and other current events. They are confused by Sarah Palin, I can tell by their hurried warbles. A heavy breeze pushes humid air. A heavy breeze pushes countless needless on far fewer branches on far fewer trees. I can't feel the breeze, but I can see the evidence. There's a small patch of blue. I yawn and retire.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Kudos for usage of 'amuse bouche.'

Cunado said...

Thank you. I've watched more than my fair share of Top Chef.