Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Blog Internacionale

The young counter-guy at the Wendy's here in Riverhead, NY is quite personable. He is on the ball and connects with each of his customers. After I ordered my breakfast-lunch-2pm meal, he made a comment about how I must be enjoying the heat. I said - I am. He said - I wish I could roll down my car windows. I knowingly said - oh, because it's been raining everyday. He replied - Yeah, that too. Naive boy strikes again. So, the more appropriate guess is that he's got a nice stereo system which he doesn't want stolen. Yeah, that too. When you're driving a rental car, such concerns are not of any concern, which is nice. And when you don't live in an urban setting (not that Riverhead really fits that category) such concerns are far from ones mind. Now... let the record show, that in talking to some locals yesterday, it has been uncharacteristically rainy this year. So, as lame as my rain comment was, it was not without some basis in local climatic reality. Speaking of lame... that was lame, too. I hope that Wendy's guy doesn't read my blog. I'm cool, right?

In other Blog reader news... ... ... I got my first comment from a true outside reader. Laura from Spain read my review of Monster Ark and appreciated that I wrote it. I don't think she picked up on all my snotty jabs at the movie, but at least I didn't offend her. I joke about it... but I did watch the first hour, then, unable to sleep, I watched the end of it. So bad it's good is still, ultimately, good. Let that be a lesson to me.

I finished Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. A fine read. Perhaps even a good summertime family nostalgia childhood slice of life kind of book.

I just found that I can highlight text then drag it to where I want it. No need to cut, then paste, just highlight and drag. Take note, bloggers, this is a great step forward for editing. I just tried it in WORD 2007 and it works there also. SHORTCUT! SHORTCUT! SHORTCUT! Maybe you already knew this, but I still get the advantages and benefits of my new found technique and the moment of discovery. Huzzah! This will save me countless seconds over the course of my remaining years.

Now I will take a victory nap.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Paddy Clark is a great book. You should look into Magnus Mills. He doesn't have anything to do with Paddy Clark, but I have been meaning to tell you. Jack likes him, too.

I long for outside readers.

Cunado said...

I think this outside reader was a one and done, unless I start a sci-fi movie review blog, which would be pandering, but it could happen.

I'll search for Magnus.

Blogadier General said...

I once had as many as 4 outside readers. I quickly bored them all away.

One was a mystery person from Stone Mountain, GA. One was from Hawaii and kept his own boring blog. One was from Amsterdam and one discovered my entry about vaginas and felt compelled to tell me how much he appreciated the information.

Outside readers are like girls. You want their attention but you have no idea what they want out of you. Pandering seems like it should work, but it never does.

Cunado said...

I've stretched out to friends of friends a little. My fear is that this becomes blogbook, but when my content is, well, what it is, then I can't expect readership to grow too much. I thought frequency might help. I guess I could go all politics, all farming, all sci-fi... instead I'm gonna stick with all Doug which can both thrill and disappoint depending on your mood.

Sam said...

But then again, I'm weirded out by my potentially silent inside readers who never comment. Like, do I work with you and you think I'm an idiot and you won't speak up?

Speak up, silent judger-readers who I've likely conjured in my own mind!

Cunado said...

I feel you there, Sam. I've got a lot of imaginary readers, and they never ever comment or react. It's quite exasperating.

Blogadier... your outside reader/girl comparison intrigues me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.