Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I think I think


I believe that government shouldn't recognize any marriage. Civil Unions for all with all the rights and responsibilities that go with them. If some think that's a slippery slope and men will be getting hitched to livestock... I'd like to see it....bring it on... it's worth it to extend partnership rights to everyone. "Marriage" can stay in the church. Gay unions don't threaten my marriage... only my wife and I can threaten our marriage. I believe in gay rights. I believe that those who don't aren't necessarily evil or homophobic. I believe the opportunities I have here in the US are the best I could hope for. I believe in the free market with some oversight. I believe in private health care. I believe everyone should have insurance, if that requires some more government programs and spending... fine. I believe that actions have consequences. I believe those on the far left think there should only be consequences for conservatives. I believe conservatives think every action should have a severe consequence. I believe both sides are equally hypocritical. I don't believe every liberal is good at heart. I don't believe every conservative has a heart of stone. I think extreme liberals fail to recognize that capitalism helps fund their social initiatives. I think those on the extreme right don't understand the value those initiatives add to humanity. I don't think the world is rational as we Americans define "rational." I think extreme liberals think that if we just reach out a hand, everyone will play along. I think Ahmedinejad proves that wrong. I think those on the extreme right think you shouldn't even try. I think cultural relativism is generally bullshit. I think the Taliban ideology should be wiped out. I think womens' rights are too low on the international priority list, if they are on it at all. Children too. I think cap and trade is useless unless the whole world joins in, as shifting pollution doesn't solve the problem. I think global warming has been wrongly publicized. I think green energy and less wasteful living are moral and practical imperatives. We shouldn't require the threat of the ocean rising 40 feet as a catalyst to change our ways. I think nuclear power is an answer. I think I'm a hypocrite. I think that admitting I'm a hypocrite makes me not a hypocrite. I think the rail system is underused and underdeveloped. I don't like tax incentives and rebates and write-offs. I don't understand "everyday people" who were distraught by Michael Jackson's death. I don't understand those that ignore his contributions entirely. I can listen to pundits on both sides of the debate and make up my own mind. I don't agree completely with anyone. I think reading fiction is more important than reading non-fiction. I believe all conspiracy theories. I think the abortion debate rules our judicial and political system. I think it shouldn't. I don't know about anyone who is 100% for or against torture. I think it's a cruel world and we are generally a nation of wussies. I think the near constant genocide in Africa is a failure of the UN. I think "Americans" don't really relate to any other culture. I think electric cars are cool. I think there are great creative ideas in all fields that government funding shouldn't go near. I think there are terrible things in the world that I'm glad I don't see, but somehow I'm complicit. I don't trust anyone who has all the answers. I think we're all flawed. I think nothing beats nachos at a baseball game. I think you've probably had your fill of what I think.

No comments: